Tuesday, August 28, 2012


First Reflection: iPad Use in the Classroom 

The iPad is an interesting piece of technology to focus on for an educational media class. I enjoy using the iPad in class but I question how pertinent knowledge of this technology will prove to be in the future. While having an understanding of how to work all Apple products will probably be helpful in the future, it seems impractical to limit our scope solely to one product and one brand. iPads are incredibly expensive pieces of technology. I am grateful that Auburn University is able to afford them and allow students to use them but given recent budget cuts, it seems unrealistic to assume that most public school systems will be able to do the same. That being said, I would love the opportunity to work with iPads when I become a teacher. They greatly enhance the scope of possible activities. 
If my teaching institution provided iPads for my classroom it would open a full range of possibility. Should I find myself teaching in an area that could afford iPads for the students, I would welcome the opportunity to incorporate them into my curriculum because they could create a greater variety and opportunity for learning. I could have greater access to books that are out of copyright for my students, without having to purchase a large number of books in print. Additionally, we could do interactive grammar practice with certain apps or use the Brain Pop app to watch videos about grammar and/or books. Students could also work on written papers in class on the iPads then easily email their work to me for feedback all during the class period - eliminating paper waste and increasing efficiency. 
Hypothetically, if my school provided my classroom with an iPad cart I think I could utilize them efficiently, I consider myself fairly apt at using Apple products. However, I would like to become more knowledgeable about  the various websites or applications that focus on practicing grammar or reading comprehension that can be used in a high school English classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment